Last Updated on March 6, 2021
Stress has a bad rep in our society. But not all stress is negative.
In essence, ‘stress’ is just any reaction our body makes whenever it encounters something we need to adjust to. This can happen not only at work, but also in small, everyday instances such as: when we get lost, need to hurry out the door, or have to make small talk with a stranger.
Stress and Health
We need to be occasionally exposed to good stress so we know our limits. For example: stress during an exam or a competition helps push us to become our best. It motivates us and keeps us on our toes. Athletes know how to use stress to their advantage so they can nab that first place gold.
However, when we’re always wound up, it cannot be good to our bodies. This happens when a person is always challenged and is not given time in between stressors to relax or rejuvenate. During a demanding or tense situation, the body produces the hormones cortisol and adrenaline, responsible for the ‘fight or flight’ response.
If these hormones are always activated for prolonged periods, it will eventually cause wear and tear to the human body. It will manifest through emotional, physical, as well as mental symptoms. These can include: headaches, chest pains, panic attacks, anxiety, upset stomach, rashes, and depression, to name a few.
That’s why it’s critical to rest and have plenty of sleep. Make sure you’re giving yourself enough time to enjoy things you love instead of overworking. Remember: you can do and achieve more when you’re refreshed.
Having trouble managing your stress levels? Remind yourself that everything will be okay with these helpful quotes about stress.
Relieving Stress Quotes
1. “Our anxiety does not come from thinking about the future, but from wanting to control it.” – Kahlil Gibran
2. “Stress is caused by being ‘here’ but wanting to be ‘there’.” – Eckhart Tolle
3. “Its not stress that kills us, it is our reaction to it.” – Hans Selye
4. “How beautiful it is to do nothing, and then to rest afterwards.” – Spanish proverb
5. “Today I refuse to stress myself out about things I cannot control or change.” – Unknown
6. “More smiling, less worrying. More compassion, less judgement. More blessed, less stressed. More love, less hate.” – Roy T. Bennett
7. “Rule number one is, don’t sweat the small stuff. Rule number two is, it’s all small stuff.” – Robert Eliot
8. “Making fitness a priority will energize you, make you look and feel better, and help diffuse stress.” – Helen Bowers
9. “Stop focusing on how stressed you are and focus on how blessed you are.” – Unknown
10. “When you find yourself stressed, ask yourself one question: Will this matter 5 years from now? If yes, then do something about the situation. If no, then let it go.” – Cathrine Pulsifer
11. “Tension is who you think you should be. Relaxation is who you are.” – Chinese proverb
12. “When I look back on all these worries, I remember the story of the old man who said on his deathbed that he had a lot of trouble in his life, most of which never happened.” – Winston Churchill
13. “Worrying does not take away tomorrow’s troubles, it takes away today’s peace.” – Unknown
14. “If you want to conquer the anxiety of life, live in the moment, live in the breath.” – Amit Ray
15. “Your relationship with yourself sets the tone for every other relationship you have.” – Robert Holden
16. “Set peace of mind as your highest goal, and organize your life around it.” – Brian Tracy
17. “One of the best ways to reduce stress is to accept the things that you cannot control.” – M. P. Neary
18. “Life is too short to stress yourself with people who don’t even deserve to be an issue in your life.” – Unknown
19. “The greatest weapon against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another.” – William James
20. “The elimination diet: Remove anger, regret, resentment, guilt, blame, and worry. Then watch your health, and life, improve.” – Charles F. Glassman
21. “Feelings come and go like clouds in a windy sky. Conscious breathing is my anchor.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
22. “For fast-acting relief, try slowing down.” – Lily Tomlin
23. “Stress, anxiety, and depression are caused when we are living to please others.” – Paulo Coelho
24. “Of all your troubles, great and small, the greatest are the ones that don’t happen at all.” – Thomas Carlyle
25. “Take life day by day and be grateful for the little things. Don’t get stressed over what you can’t control.” – Unknown
26. “Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.” – Confucius
27. “Within you, there is a stillness and a sanctuary to which you can retreat at any time and be yourself.” – Hermann Hesse
28. “You don’t always need a plan. Sometimes you just need to breathe, trust, let go and see what happens.” – Mandy Hale
29. “Stand up to your obstacles and do something about them. You will find they haven’t half the strength you they have.” – Norman Vincent Peale
30. “Your mind will answer most questions if you learn to relax and wait for the answers.” – William S. Burroughs